13 January, 2012

Poetically Anticipating

Last week you were all so gentle with my poetry that your reward is another offering. Sorry.

What follows also results from the poetry challenge I've entered - this time to write a poem that includes a delivery or an arrival.

Aha! In a few short weeks, I shall become a grandfather for the first time. This poem is not my best effort but conveys a bit of what I expect to feel as the day approaches.

When?
with pacing
uncharacteristic
I move about the rooms
counting steps and tiles except
when I sit
staring
at a spot on the wall
wondering if clocks ever get dizzy

ups and downs
and forths and backs
intermingle with
right handed coin fumbling
obverse then
reverse then obverse
each examined without seeing

IN GOD WE TRUST

Ah

my phone’s not ringing
my messenger’s not chiming
but wait!
what was that?
damn - only imagination
once again

grandfather becoming
such frustratingly delightful anticipation

TGB