30 August, 2012

{this memory} 60

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

Nantucket Island, Massachusetts - on the beach near Siasconset. This was a Columbus Day weekend getaway in 1979. My wife and I were still in our first year of marriage and took off with one of her cousins and her husband for a fun weekend.

Take off, indeed. The cousin had miscalculated, and we missed the last ferry of the day - and I mean just missed it. We watched it set sail, in fact. Back in the car, we headed for the airport where we managed to get on a puddle-jumper with all of our luggage. I didn't think it would, but somehow the little plane managed to get airborne. Soon we were on the tiny island.

We had rented a couple of rooms in a large bed-and-breakfast. Very nice. We made full use of our time - walks, horses, whaling museum, shopping, great meals, and exploration. We even rented a car so we could explore the far corners of the island, which is where this photo was taken.

It was a great weekend, but we've never been back. It's about time though, I think. So many wonderful memories - I am a fortunate man and one who managed to avoid throwing a Nantucket limerick your way.
TGB