20 June, 2013

{this memory} 82


This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

This photo was taken around 1973. It was certainly post-1971 and pre-1975. That is the living room of the small cottage I rented while a doctoral student at the University of Maine at Orono.

All the usual stuff - comfortable chair, sofa bed, carpet. The coffee table is special. My father had cut the pedestal of an antique oak dining table to shorten it to coffee table height. He then gave it a wonderful new finish. I still have it although it's currently in storage. It was in projects like this that he taught me if something was worth doing, it was worth doing well.

I've written before about the photo of the old man that is above the couch. See {this moment) 23 and {this memory} 23.

Then there are the guitars, two of the three I own. A Gibson 12-string and a Goya classical. I discussed them in Singin' On The Brain. Needless to say, the guitars are still with me and continue to mean a great deal to me even though I can no longer play.

I am filled with wonderful memories and remain a fortunate man.
TGB